Sunday, June 13, 2010

Advertising through Non-traditional media







Advertisers in Berlin really utilize the technologies available to them. Walking through out the city I saw a significant variety of advertisements in comparison to Miami. In Miami you see billboards that change but I rarely see posters that rotate circularly or even change screens. The billboards and posters in Berlin are electronically controlled and the screens change frequently. These advertisements catch my eye because they are moving and as you stand waiting in traffic or walk by you see more than one advertisement at a time.

Berlin is a city that utilizes a vast transportation system using the S-bahn, U-bahn and a local bus system. With people constantly on-the-go advertisers in Berlin have taken advantage of nontraditional/street advertising. For example in Potsdamer Platz, Oakley, had used the steps to display the image of their model. I really liked this advertisement because it was unique and “in your face”. Directly across from the steps was an Oakley sign, so they were catching the attention of both people coming and going.


In New York and Washington D.C. back in the United States they also use transportation systems (Metro and Subway), but I do not feel advertisers take full advantage of the street advertising available. Within the Ubahn and stations there are also TV Screens through out that are constantly displaying advertisements. Within the stations people waiting for the trains were crowded around these screens to watch.

I noticed approximately five major advertisements that were ubiquitously placed throughout the entire city including: H&M, iPad, Vita Cola, Optical lens, and several others. At home I do not see the same advertisements as frequently as I have in Berlin. Therefore, my main impression is that consumers in Berlin are getting more exposure to brands/ advertisements because of the high frequency of advertisements. When creating IMC campaigns my impression is that advertisers in Berlin use the 3+ advertising rule with the belief that increasing frequency is more productive than reach.

`

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on the Advertising in Berlin. I feel it is way more advanced than where I live in South Florida. I wonder if these types of campaigns are successful here because of the way of life? You know, if we were back in Miami, I doubt we would be walking around as much and strategies like this may not be as effective. It is very innovative and when it comes to advertising I would say South Florida marketers/advertisers could learn from their tactics.

    ReplyDelete